Passport Information


If you are a United States citizen and plan to travel abroad, you will need a passport issued by the State Department. Here is some information to help you get started:

New Passports

To obtain a passport for the first time, you must go in person to one of the 7,000 passport acceptance facilities located in the United States. You will need to bring:

  • two photographs of yourself (most facilities can do this for you for a fee)
  • proof of citizenship (usually a certified birth certificate)
  • a valid form of photo identification such as a driver’s license (a back and front copy)

Renewing Passports

You can renew by mail if:

  • your most recent passport is not damaged and is available to submit 
  • you received the passport within the past 15 years
  • you were over age 16 when it was issued
  • you still have the same name or can legally document your name change

You can download a passport renewal application from the U.S. Department of State Passports Home Page. If your passport has been altered or damaged, you must apply in person. For a renewal, you will need 2 new passport photos to submit.

For the most up-to-date fee information, please visit the State Department's website.